When the Beatitudes are a justification for the ignoble.
Readership: All; Men; Single Men;
Theme: Faux-Masculine Archetypes
Reader’s Note: In this essay, suffixes have been added to ressentiment to form different inflexions.
Length: 1,200 words
Reading Time: 4 minutes
When I started this study of The Decadent Christian, I expected decadence to be related to hedonism, as I covered in the last post. But during my research, I came across an incisive description of The Disease of Decadent Christianity (2022-4-29), written by J. M. Smith over at The Orthosphere, in which he described another type of decadence related to ressentiment (to be described in the following section).
After gaining a better understanding of ressentiment, I’ve come to see it as a kind of social Anarchy, and that it is practically everywhere! This type of decadence is even more prevalent than hedonism and perhaps even more damaging and definitely more debasing.
So this post will borrow excerpts from Smith’s essay to explore the nature and motivations of the ressentimental Christian. [Images and section titles added.]
In The Disease of Decadent Christianity (2022-4-29), J. M. Smith at The Orthosphere describes ressentiment as follows.
“Decadent Christianity also exhibits the perversion of ressentiment, by which is meant a system of inverted values in which everything low is exalted, and everything high is pulled down. This is Nietzsche’s argument that Christianity is at bottom a “slave morality” with which inferior men take their revenge on the natural nobles with a “transvaluation of values.”
“It is important to understand the difference between resentment and ressentiment. An ugly woman may resent the fact that she is ugly, but ressentiment would be the system of inverted values with which she (and others like her) attempts to take revenge by denigrating the beauty of beautiful women. A stupid man may resent the fact that he is stupid, but ressentiment would be the system of inverted values with which he (and others like him) attempts to take revenge by denigrating the intelligence of intelligent men.”
We have seen this inversion of values taken to a new level in the politically correct West.
- Masculinity is “toxic.”
- Headship is “abusive.”
- Christian morality is blasé.
- The common man is “deplorable.”
- H0mosexuals are branded as “special.”
- Illicit affairs are a “healing experience.”
- Abortion is called “planned parenthood.”
- Recognizing gender differences is “sexist.”
- Being indignantly offended is a virtue signal.
- Authenticity is debased or dismissed as raw “white toxicity.”
- “Natural” is commonly misinterpreted as barbaric individualism.
- Advocates and seekers of truth are tamped down by the tone police, even within the church!
- Virginity has become a byword. Virgins are ridiculed in public and sold to the highest bidder in private.
- Men who have a more natural and healthy attraction for young, beautiful, fertile, nubile women are compared to ephebophiles.
- Cacomorphiles insist on recasting obese women as “full-figured” or “shapely”, and those blimpophobes who disagree are roundly dismissed as cruel and heartless.
- Jaded aging harlots are presented as “sex symbols”, and sadly, many men have come to agree, even to prefer women who are “experienced”, oversexed, and past their reproductive prime.
The shocker is that these metanyms are not euphemisms — every person is fully expected to adopt these terms as standard English vocabulary in order to be accepted into “polite” society! Anyone disagreeing with any of these delusions is denigrated as a misogynist, a racist, “Edwardian”, “Victorian”, etc.
Ressentiment within Christianity
Returning to J. M. Smith’s essay.
“Christianity opens the way to ressentiment when it teaches that ugliness and stupidity are not marks of God’s curse, and that the ugly, the stupid, the poor, and the lame may therefore have as good a hope of heaven as those who are not so ill favored. The perversion of this teaching occurs when the lowly use Christianity as a pretext to act on their envy and take revenge on the natural nobles. They do this by instituting a system of inverted values in which their lowliness is a mark of holiness — in which ugliness, stupidity, poverty and infirmity are marks of a spiritual superiority.”
“This is the “revolt of all that creeps on the ground against what is elevated,” and it of course mirrors the revolt of Satan and man against God.
We can see that this ressentiment is a perverse and decadent Christianity if we look at its locus classicus, the beatitudes enumerated in the Sermon on the Mount. When Jesus says, “blessed are the meek”, He is not saying that “the meek” are henceforth a new nobility that can lord it over those who are bold. Indeed, to say this would be a contradiction because the meek would no longer be meek if they declared that their meekness entitled them to power and prestige.
Humble folk stop being humble the moment they begin to wear their humbleness as a crown!
No honest Christian can deny that there is a decadent Christianity in which “blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness” has been perverted into “blessed are those who hunger and thirst for revenge.” And no honest Christian can deny that those who hunger and thirst for revenge will, if sufficiently numerous, take their revenge with ressentiment, a “slave morality,” an inverted system of values.”
How many “Christians” do you know who actively support inflammatory social movements that have no clear goals and even condone violence in support of these social causes?
Summary of Ressentimental Decadency
Ressentiment is the end goal of liberal progressivism and it is also the preeminent zephyr overshadowing 21st century Christianity. As such, nearly every modern social and religious issue has roots in the ressentiment of some facet of life.
The ressentimenal individual discredits and disrespects the beautiful and excellent people of the world by calling them various derogatory names, “privileged” being the most popular one at present. Instead, the ignoble are celebrated and elevated, and those who disagree with these inverted values are shamed.
Those who engage in such kinds of social politicking are thereby acting as an ethical and moral anarchist.
- The ethical anarchist is the type of person who subscribes to non-Christian philosophies, such as Critical Race Theory, Feminism, cultural Progressivism, certain aspects of Wokeism, etc.
- The moral anarchist compromises long revered Christian principles by condoning, affirming, or even participating in social movements such as gender equality, pro-abortionism, g@y rights, and QTBGL+ flourishment, and the brash gasconade thereof.
Christians who do the same are participating as unwitting minions in the evils of Progressivism.
As Vox says, nominal Christian ressentimentalists and authentic Christians cannot coexist.
Honor: < 0 (detracts from what is honorable)
Authority: < 0 (relinquishes authority)
Respect: < 0 (repudiates what is respectable)
Purpose: 0-10 (however, these purposes are self-centered and work against the nobler aspects of Christian values)
Average Score: 0
- Max Schaeler, Ressentiment (ca. 1915) (PDF)
- Dalrock: Lovestruck (2013-4-15)
- Σ Frame (Jack, Dante Emerson): The Evolution of Feminism as a Series of Cultural Movements (2018-1-15)
- Σ Frame (James Lawrence): Against The Naturalistic Fallacy (2018-2-12)
- Dalrock: Experts at failing. (2018-9-10)
- Σ Frame (Jack): The Blue Pill, Feminism, and Sin (2018-10-26)
- Σ Frame (Jack): Defiled, not “special” (2018-12-19)
- Σ Frame (Jack): The Morphing Ethical System in the U.S. (2020-6-26)
- Σ Frame (Jack): Hitting bottom must be necessary. (2020-11-6)
- Σ Frame (Jack): Progressive (2020-11-10)
- The Orthosphere (Richard Cocks): René Girard – Imitation and Life Without God (2020-11-10)
- Σ Frame (NovaSeeker): The Demise of the Christian Life Script (2021-3-10)
- Practically Known Theology (John Ellis): Yes, I Am a ‘Woke’ Christian. No, I Have Not Drifted into Theological Compromise. (2022-5-14)